Testosterone screening and consultation - NEW
Do you have:
- Low sex drive
- Lack of vitality
- A feeling that your better days are behind you
- A persistent mental fog
- Slow recovery from exercise
- Decreased response to exercise
- Lack of desire to get up and do something
- Depression or anxiety
- Decreased confidence
- Loss of muscle mass
- Increase in fat mass
- Type 2 diabetes, obesity, or metabolic syndrome
- Difficulty achieving an erection
- Loss of facial or body hair
- Moodiness, an unsettled feeling, or grumpiness
These are all signs or symptoms of low testosterone in men. While these can overlap with other conditions (particularly depression), it is crucial to rule out testosterone deficiency. This is particularly true of men over 40 as the prevalence of hypogonadism (low testosterone) rises from about 30 % at age 40 to over 50% at age 85. If you have type 2 diabetes, obesity, or metabolic syndrome, then the rates are much higher.
I have decided to launch a testosterone screening service that doesn't require an office visit for the folllowing reasons:
- Abundant misinformation regarding the risks of testosterone replacement is being distributed by the media and some physicians.
- There are clear, scientifically-validated benefits of testosterone replacement in deficient patients.
- In my opinion, if there are risks at all to testosterone replacement, they are outweighed by the benefits as long as the patient is actually deficient and has been screened by laboratory tests and physical examination.
It works like this:
- Sign up for the service
- Dr Edman will send you a prepaid lab order for testing at a local Quest Diagnostics.
- Once the results are available, schedule a 15 minute phone consultation with Dr Edman.
If your results are consistent with low testosterone, then you and Dr Edman will review your options for testosterone replacement.
If your lab results are not consistent with low testosterone, then you and Dr Edman will come up with a "game plan" to keep your testosterone levels at an acceptable level and discuss your next steps to resolve your specific issues.